School Bus Travel to Rutherglen Schools
Information for Parents and Students
Parents of bus travellers need to be aware of the following:-
- Please ensure that your child is at the designated stop 5 minutes before the stated arrival time of the bus, and is aware of the conduct expected on and around the bus. Do not expect the bus to wait for you.
- If you are waiting for the bus, please wait on the same side of the road as the bus stop, to eliminate the risk of children running across the road in front of traffic.
- State & Registered School students may be permitted to travel on a School Bus Service, subject to Department Of Education Regulations (1988). You should be aware that permission for such travel is a privilege, not a right. Permission may be withdrawn if the student’s behaviour is unsatisfactory.
- Permanent bus travellers wishing to be picked up or dropped off at locations other than their designated stops will need to complete a form which is to be signed by a parent/guardian and the Bus Coordinator or Principal. The form should then be handed to the bus driver.
Note: Bus drivers do not have the authority to approve temporary travel or change of stop arrangements. They have been instructed not to allow students to travel or change stops unless signed permission forms have been handed to them.
No extra students are to travel on a school bus without written permission from the Bus Coordinator. If you are not a regular traveller, and you need to travel on a school bus due to important or urgent family circumstances, you will need to complete a form, signed by your parent or guardian, applying for permission to travel on a particular bus. Permission forms are available from the general office at each school. The permission form must also be signed by the Bus Coordinator or Principal, and given to the driver as you get on the bus.
- Some buses may be too full to allow extra passengers.
- Attending sports training, places of employment and social events are not valid reasons for school bus travel as laid down by the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.
Student Code of Conduct - Behaviour on a School Bus
Students are permitted to travel only on days when they are attending school. School buses are not to be used for travel other than for the purposes specified by the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. The driver is not permitted to carry unauthorized passengers or goods.
- Behave in an orderly manner while waiting at the bus stop.
- Travel only on their allocated bus.
- Obey the driver’s instructions
- Remain seated for the whole journey.
- Keep the noise to a talking level
- On leaving the bus, wait on the same side of the road until the bus has moved away from the bus stop, and if necessary, cross the road only when there is a clear view of the traffic in both directions.
- Bring a signed permission form if getting off at a different stop than normal.
- Respect the bus owner’s property, doing nothing to damage or mark the bus.
Students will not:
- Behave in any way to distract the driver from the road.
- Fight on the bus or at any bus stop.
- Harass any other person on the bus.
- Use foul or abusive language.
- Allow any part of their body to protrude from the bus.
- Behave in any way contrary to school rules for litter, smoking, etc.
- Play on the roadway at the bus stop.
- Get on or off the bus before it is completely stopped.
- Throw litter, or any other object, in or from the bus.
- Enter the bus area before or after school when buses are likely to be coming in or leaving.
Please also note the following:
- The driver has the authority to designate specific seats to students, and to move students to another seat if considered necessary.
- Only one warning or instruction from the driver is necessary.
- Students, who are reported for misbehaviour, will be warned and initially dealt with according to their schools Behaviour & Discipline Policy and/or suspended from the bus if necessary. Subsequent reports for misbehaviour may lead to suspension for increasing lengths of time and possible cancellation of travel rights.
- Students, who are not travelling home on the bus in the afternoon, should notify the driver in the morning.
Further enquiries may be directed to Mrs Vicki D’Amelio at Rutherglen High School, 40 Sheridan's Bridge Rd, Rutherglen.
Ph. 02 6032 9483.
School Bus Co-ordinator.